SERVPRO Your Biohazard Specialist
Safety is ALWAYS at the front of our minds on any job here at SERVPRO of South Livingston and Atchafalaya – from biohazard cleanup to fire restoration. But the truth is, once our mind is focused on the job at hand, it’s easy to forget simple ways to keep ourselves and our team safe. OSHA, was established in 1971 to help ensure employees have a workplace free from recognized hazards. While OSHA does help with safety, no one agency can be responsible for the safety of everyone every day. It’s no secret safety issues increase following a fire, flood or other disaster. So, it’s up to restoration contractors and technicians to understand the risks and be trained to handle them whether it be high levels of bacteria in a flooded home, or mold on a basement wall.
Basic Safety Risks
Here are some safety risks to consider specifically related to restoration and remediation work, and very simple safety tips to keep in mind:
- Structural integrity issues caused by fire or flood damage – do not walk on surfaces that are not stable.
- Possible exposures from toxic chemical substances generated during a fire or in flood water -- wear rubber boots and gloves.
- A variety of sharp metal objects, razor blades, jagged edges – use care when handling and clean any cuts or wounds.
- Breathing dust containing asbestos or other toxic materials – wear proper filtration masks.
- Eye injuries from flying debris, dust, contaminated water and cleaning chemicals – wear safety goggles.
- Carbon monoxide from propane or gas fired generators or other equipment – do not work in these areas.
- Ladders – avoid electrical wires, position at a safe angle; don’t place on unstable surfaces.
- Chain saws and other power tools– follow manufacturer’s instructions and don’t overreach.
- Trucks or other heavy equipment backing up or being moved – always be alert on the job.
- Remediating death scenes (may include blood or bodily fluids) – use gloves and other PPE (personal protection equipment) like hazmat suits. Highly Trained Restoration Specialists
- Our SERVPRO Professionals are highly trained in property restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO's Corporate Training Facility to regular IICRC industry certifications, our Professionals are equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. The SERVPRO training program includes:
Technicians should also be trained to select and use appropriate cleaning chemicals, disinfectants and protectors. For example, bleach, while readily available and inexpensive, is a caustic and hazardous chemical. It can cause harm to human skin and mucus membranes, is corrosive to metals, is readily inactivated by organic matter, produces irritating fumes, and can generate deadly chlorine gas or form explosive compounds if inadvertently mixed with ammonia or ammonia-containing products. When using any chemical, care should also be taken to allow adequate dwell time for EPA registered disinfectants. All EPA labeled directions must be followed. Moreover, using a chemical that may be “safer” and less toxic may not be strong enough to inactivate target organisms. There is no doubt the most efficient method to stay safe is to constantly be aware of your work area surroundings and follow OSHA and industry guidelines. Safety is everybody’s job.
- IICRC Training
- Employee Certification Training
- Initial Franchise Training
- Continuing Education Classes
This is a home that SERVPRO of South Livingston reconstructed after it suffered severe damage from a fire.
SERVPRO of South Livingston also offers reconstruction services.
We understand how difficult and time consuming it is dealing with the repairs of your home or business after a water or fire damage.
Here at SERVPRO of South Livingston we not only clean and mitigate your home, but we can also help in the repair process to truly leave your home or business "Like it never even happened."
Painting-interior and exterior, drywall repair, insulation install, flooring install- porcelain tile, hardwood floor, vinyl floor, engineered floor, carpet flooring, laminate flooring, natural stone, cabinetry/trim, countertops/vanities, baseboard installation, roof repair, and many more. With many years of reconstruction/remodeling experience, you can feel confident knowing SERVPRO of South Livingston is the construction company you can trust.
What Happens After A Fire?!
The unexpected has just happened and you've experienced a fire in your home! Few things are as devastating to any homeowner as a house fire. We understand there is so much emotion and stress that goes into a situation like this that sometimes you might forget to ask, "What is next?". That is where the team at SERVPRO of South Livingston Parish comes in to provide help! If your home catches fire, our team at SERVPRO of South Livingston Parish works to aid you in the process of rebuilding. However, a few things you must do after a fire has occurred apply to homeowners anywhere in the Livingston area, or anywhere else.
Give Your Insurance Adjuster a Call
You must call your insurance company promptly after. Your agent will help you figure out what happens after the fire has been put out, and they will walk you through finding the proper contractors. Your adjuster should assist you in finding a place to stay while your home is no longer livable, and they can help you figure out the financial situation you are now in.
Calling in the Restoration Specialists
SERVPRO is a restoration company that helps people with their homes following a fire throughout the US. What makes a restoration company imperative is that you cannot just head back into your home after there has been a fire. There are numerous hazards that must be cleaned, and boarded, and a variety of other issues that must be handled first. For example, the water used to put out the fire can cause water damage, a whole other problem to add to the list following a fire.
Sort Your Property
Once a restoration specialist handles the details inside your home and you’re cleared to enter, it’s time to sort your property out from what can be saved and what you must part with. There may be undamaged items in your home that you can salvage. There are many more that are unsalvageable, and those items will need to be sorted and disposed of. Being the victim of a house fire is heartbreaking. It’s also a scary process to deal with, but you are not required to go through this alone. The people you hire at SERVPRO of South Livingston Parish are Here to Help you with your new needs, we are here to make sure you know what to expect and how to handle it!
We Are Here to Help
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging
If you ever find yourself in one of these situations, call the professionals at SERVPRO South Livingston to assist you at (225) 667-2220.
How to Keep Rain Water out of your Livingston Parish Home
Here are 10 things you should do to keep rainwater out of your Livingston Parish, LA home.
- Increase Grade: The ground around your home should be sloped away from your property to divert water. It's a very simple process, borrow dirt from three feet away from the structure, and toss it against the side of the structure creating a slope.
- Clean Rain Gutters: You should clean your gutters annually. A clogged gutter can send rainwater running down the exterior wall, which can result in water entering the interior walls.
- Divert Down Spouts: At the local hardware store, you can purchase a black plastic corrugated hose that fits around the base of the downspout. This hose carries water away from the structure, preventing water from seeping into the foundation.
- Roof Maintenance: You should have your roof inspected every 5 years. Your roof is the first line of defense, with one tear in a rubber membrane or cracks in a tin roof, or a compromise in the plywood structure of the roof can be disastrous for the interior of your structure.
- Window Repairs: Proper window installation and maintenance is very important. Modern windows are fitted with well drains to help guide water outside of the house. Improper caulking can be disastrous by sending water into the structure instead of draining it away.
- Sweep Away Debris: During spring and fall especially, you should sweep outdoor surfaces weekly. Sweep patios and door well to prevent debris from clogging exterior drains.
- Expand Exterior Drains: By expanding the surface area of exterior drains decreases the likelihood of clogging the drain.
- Construct a Swale Ditch: Constructing a ditch and filling it with landscaping rock can help divert water away from the structure, especially for yards that are extremely flat.
- Exterior French Drain: For structures on a slope, an exterior French drain, including a subterranean ditch with a black perforated corrugated hose, can be used to divert surface water away from the structure.
- Install a Sump Pump: When all else fails, installing a sump pump may be the solution. You will need to dig a well through the basement or slab of structure. The well may be up to 7 or 10 feet deep. As the water table increases, a sump pump activates and transports water away from the structure.
If you have water damage concerns due to rainwater, please feel free to give SERVPRO of South Livingston a call, we're always here to help (225) 667-2220.
What do you do when stormy weather approaches? Here are some good tips to keep you prepared.
-Have bottled water, canned foods, and dry foods available for consumption.
-Have an emergency medical kit available.
-Have emergency numbers listed where they are easily accessible.
-Watch for electrical hazards.
-Know where to find shelter.
-Fill vehicles and generators with fuel.
-Have batteries and a weather radio ready to access.
When disaster strikes, SERVPRO of South Livingston will always be ready to help you with your homes or businesses.
You can rest assured knowing that your home can be restored when disaster strikes by SERVPRO of South Livingston. We are available 24/7 at (225) 667-2220 to make it "Like it never even happened.”
Our Customers Are Our Number One Priority
At SERVPRO, our number one priority is to make our customers happy. It may sound like the impossible task; after all, we are arriving on the scene when circumstances for our customers are devastating. A fire in their home, a busted pipe which has caused water damage in their kitchen, mold in their office building. These are difficult situations emotionally which is all the more reason for our employees to be sensitive to what our customers are dealing with. Many times, depending upon the damage we are mitigating, we could spend days, weeks, or even months in customer’s home or office. We get to know our clients one on one. We get to meet their children. We get to hear about their families. We know their pets’ names. We know where they leave the key in case they are not there. We get to know them by carefully handling all of their cherished possessions, sometimes cleaning them and packing them away until their homes are restored. At the end of the day, we are just people helping people. That’s what it’s all about. Sometimes that means stopping what we are doing and having a cup of coffee or dinner with our customers if they ask. Sometimes it means taking out the family pet.
Why SERVPRO?? Because we care about our customers...And they know it! Let us be the one you call when your life gets flipped upside down.
When Should I Clean My Dryer Vent?
If a fire does break out in your laundry room, contact your fire damage restoration team at (225) 667-2220.
When you clean the lint trap of your dryer after a load of laundry, you are removing pieces of the fabric that was just dried. As the clothing tosses to-and-fro within the drum, small bits of fabric often rub off because of the friction created when the materials brush against one another. Some of the bits of fabric often slip through the lint trap and can collect in the dryer exhaust tubing. Over time, the fluff can build up and become a hazard because a lint fire can start using the highly-combustible fabric bits and the tiniest of sparks.
To prevent lint fire damage caused by overheated combustible lint, the dryer venting system should be regularly inspected. Although it is often difficult to know when to clean the vent, here are some helpful hints that can act as red flags:
Airflow does not move easily through the tubing.
Vent hoses have kinks or holes.
An abnormal amount of lint begins to accumulate in the lint trap.
Dryer vent has not been cleaned in over a year.
Another sign that your vent may need cleaning is if the time it takes to dry your clothing changes significantly or if the body of the dryer becomes excessively hot. When the heat becomes extreme, the chances of a fire can grow. That is why dryer obstructions, even minor issues, can cause serious problems and possibly lead to a dryer fire.
If a fire does break out in your laundry room, contact a fire damage restoration team. Not only can the professionals inspect the fire-damaged area, but they can also remove the water, smoke, and soot within the room. Once cleaning has been completed, the team can also help remove the smoke odor that can linger long after the fire-damaged area has been restored. A lint fire does not have to leave your home in Livingston Parish, LA in shambles; a team of experts can quickly restore the area.
SERVPRO of South Livingston is an IICRC Certified Firm.
IICRC stands for Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification. This non-profit organization writes the procedures and standards for water damage restoration, fire damage restoration, carpet and upholstery cleaning. Cleaning and restoration companies must meet a list of standards before they can become IICRC Certified Firms. Those standards include a commitment to conduct business with honesty and integrity, and maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident. All technicians must be formally trained and pass the required exams to become IICRC certified in each particular area.
SERVPRO of South Livingston is an IICRC Certified Firm. We send our employees to training classes to become certified for their job position. Some of their certifications include:
WRT Certified (Water Damage Restoration Technician)
ASD Certified (Advanced Structural Drying Technician)
FSRT Certified (Fire and Smoke Restoration Technician)
OCT (Odor Control Technician)
SMT Certified (Stone, Masonry and Ceramic Tile Cleaning Technician)
CCT Certified (Carpet Cleaning Technician)
UFT Certified (Upholstery and Fabric Cleaning Technician)
Check the IICRC website at IICRC.org for valuable consumer information.
Restoring Textiles and Soft Good with the Esporta Wash System
SERVPRO of South Livingston is the only Esporta certified firms in Louisiana. We clean mold, fire smoke, and water damaged clothing.
When someone is dealing with a water or fire damage in their home or business, there are a lot of emotions and things to consider. The idea of handling multiple companies for different parts of the restoration process is a lot to handle. Most customers just want to call one company who can work with them from start to end.
We understand that this is a difficult time and customers need a company who take care of them properly.
This is why we decided to add clothing and textile cleaning as part of our restoration process. Another name for this is soft contents restoration. We can now restore clothes affected by Category 2 and Category 3 water damage, mold growth, and fire and smoke odor removal.
Esporta Wash System
Unlike home washing machines or traditional dry cleaning, Esporta is a wet wash system. Our machine uses a combination of up to six environmentally friendly detergents according to the type of damage the clothing contains.
Textiles are placed inside the machine, where they spin in detergent laden water while staying in place. Since the items don’t move inside the machine, the textiles are cleaned by hydraulic pressure instead of agitation. This makes the Esporta system gentle on all fabrics, even as contaminants are literally pushed out of the fabric by the detergent water.
The end result is textiles that are near neutral pH and food grade clean!
We are one of the few Esporta certified firms in Louisiana. Our business has the unique capability of packing your damaged clothing and taking it back to our in house cleaning facility.
Our Esporta cleaning technicians have cleaned thousands of pieces of clothing with a success rate of over 85%. This rate of success is among the highest in the clothing cleaning industry.
- We’ve successfully cleaned over 100,000 items.
- Most items are ready to be returned within 2 weeks.
- We also offer a 72 hour emergency item cleanup where we clean clothing you need to continue living your life while the rest of your wardrobe is getting finished. We deliver all items back to you.
Soft Contents Restoration
Soft contents restoration is a specialized service within the restoration industry. Since we clean clothing and other textiles that have been affected by mold, soot, and contaminated water, our specialists put on personal protective equipment while they proceed with the Esporta cleaning process. We have been successful in cleaning the following:
- Mold affected clothing and shoes. We have cleaned all types of mold.
- Smoke, soot affected clothing. After a water damage, one of the first things we take out of a home is the clothing and textiles to avoid the soot from permanently staining the clothing.
- Sports equipment, including sports with padded equipment like football and hockey.
- Water damaged clothing from contaminated waters like category 2 water and category 3 water (gray and black water).
Water Damage Restoration Louisiana
There are many water damage restoration companies in Louisiana, but only a few offer in house Esporta services. Choose a business that can take care of your clothing themselves instead of a company that will take your clothes and give them to another business (and possibly charge you more) to take care of this specialty item.
The Esporta is special because it can clean items that have been in contaminated water. You may have heard of gray or black water. This is what those terms mean.
IICRC Water Classification
(Clean): The water is clean and sanitary. It does not pose a substantial risk. Category 1 water may turn into a Category 2 or 3 water damage if it's not cleaned soon, typically within 3 days. If your clothing has been touched by clean water, there’s no problem. A regular washing machine can take care of this for you.
(Gray): This water carries waste products and is not clean, but it also does not contain human waste. You may choose to put these clothes in your home washer if you use chemicals that can safely kill the contaminants on your clothes, but this still doesn’t ensure that all contaminants will be flushed out of the clothing’s fabrics.
(Black): This water poses a significant health risk. External flooding and sewage backups are both Category 3 and contain gross contamination and present a danger of spreading bacteria and disease. Do not attempt to put clothing this dirty in your home laundry.
Fire Damage Restoration Louisiana
Many customers ask if how to get fire smoke out of clothes. Smoke particles are tricky to get out of clothing. Home laundry machines do not have enough power to get the particles completely out, and dry cleaners may permanently leave the particles in. The most successful rate of restoration for clothing with smoke odor is the Esporta.
Our machine uses hydraulic pressure to literally push the smoke particles out of the clothing. In many cases, the soot that has settled onto the fabric can also be completely removed. Unfortunately, the soot sometimes leaves a permanent yellow stain if it has stayed on the fabric for multiple days. If a stain is left, we do not consider the item recovered and we report this to your insurance company.
Time matters when restoring soot stained clothing! This is why our technicians always gather your clothing and textiles and rush them to our cleaning facility after a water damage. The faster we can start cleaning them, the higher the chance of everything being recovered.
Mold Remediation Louisiana
We’ve successfully remediated thousands of items of clothes with mold spores in them. When mold is allowed to live on an item long enough, it will eventually eat right through it! Once that happens, the mold damage is permanent. If we find clothing with mold growth, we’ll immediately get them to our Esporta station for cleaning.
We Offer ATP Testing
We use ATP testing to prove contamination levels. ATP -- adenosine triphosphate -- is found in all living cells. Anything alive has ATP. The greater the ATP level, the greater the microbial contamination.
We take an ATP sample of different surfaces before and after they are cleaned, and this is how we prove:
1) if your clothing is dirty enough to warrant professional cleaning, and
2) that our team has successfully sanitized your clothing after cleanup
Our primary purpose in testing for ATP is to prove our results and ensure the safety of our customers. If any item fails to receive a passing ATP score, the clothing is cleaned again at no added cost to you. Our process is thorough and gives our customers peace of mind.
We Work With All Insurance Companies
We work with all insurance providers to ask for your textile cleaning to be part of your claim. Since we do not have access to your insurance policy, we can never say anything definitive until we speak with your adjuster. In many, clothing mold removal is covered.
Trusted Leader in Water Damage Restoration and Fire Damage Restoration in Louisiana
SERVPRO of South Livingston is a water damage restoration and fire and smoke damage restoration company in South Louisiana. We have performed work in Alexandria, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and all throughout Louisiana. With our crews responding immediately to jobs, we are faster to any size disaster. You can trust us to restore your home or business.
Our crews are available dispatch for 24 hour emergencies every day of the year. We can be reached 24/7 at (225) 667-2220. Call us any time!