Floods are one of the most common and widespread natural disasters in the United States.
There is always potential for flood damage no matter where you live. According to the American Red Cross floods cause more damage in the United States every year than any other weather related disaster. The American Red Cross offers these flood safety tips:
-Stay away from floodwaters. If you come up on a flowing stream where water is above your ankles, stop, turn around and go another way. Six inches of swiftly moving water can sweep you off of your feet.
-If you approach a flooded road while driving, turn around and go another way. If you are caught on a flooded road and waters are riding rapidly around you, get out of the car quickly and move to higher ground. Most cars can be swept away by less than two feet of moving water.
-Keep children out of the water. They are curious and often lack judgment about running water or contaminated water.
If a flood occurs and affects you, call SERVPRO of South Livingston. Even minor floods have potential to cause major damage. We are faster to ANY size disaster. Let us help you get your life back in order.
Call the flood experts - (225) 667-2220
House Fire Season
This was an electric fire that started in a bedroom closet. The family was not home at the time and no one was harmed.
We often hear about a particular time of the year as being the season for house fires, cleaning house fire disasters are on the rise from that month forward. It is usually associated with colder weather when we start to use more home heating. When it comes to your home, however, there is no season for a fire. It can strike at any time. The sad fact is that 2,500 people will be killed in fires over the next year. 13,000 people will suffer serious injuries related to fires and the loss of property - in terms of real dollars - will be more than $7 Billion!
SERVPRO of South Livingston provides expert restoration services if you have experienced a house fire. If that is your situation now, please call (225) 667-2220 so we can begin restoring your home. The residue left from a fire, known as soot, presents hidden dangers if not properly removed from your home and your possessions. Soot is acidic in nature and within hours to days, it will begin to decay or even destroy whatever surface it comes in contact with.
Our homes are a collection of different types of materials, all of which represent unique risks once they have been exposed to the heat from a fire. The structure itself is composed of wood and sheetrock. Electrical wiring is wrapped with plastics and rubber. Insulation is found in attics and behind walls. Floors are made of wooden materials that have been coated with chemicals to preserve their beauty, or covered with synthetic materials found in carpets. Each presents its own set of risks. The water used to extinguish the fire also presents a different set of problems for furniture that comes in contact with it and personal belongings left on floors.
SERVPRO of South Livingston technicians are trained to determine what can be salvaged and what needs to be discarded. Each home contains items of sentimental value like pictures and heirlooms. Until help arrives, pictures need to be removed from glass frames as quickly as possible so they can dry unless they have become stuck to the glass. Valuable items like jewelry, weapons, ammunition, financial papers and other personal items should be removed from the home for safe keeping.
Our restoration specialists treat the damaged contents of your home with the utmost respect and care. Once cleaned and restored, we will safely store your property until your home is ready for your return. Our job is to make your loss "Like it never even happened."
We have helped hundreds of families recover from house fire damages all over South Louisiana. To learn more, visit us on the web at www.SERVPROsouthlivingstonparish.com or give us a call at (225) 667-2220.
What to do Until Help Arrives
These emergency tips will assist you in taking the proper action until your SERVPRO of South Livingston professionals arrive. Please follow these DOs and DON'Ts to help reduce damage and increase the chances of a successful restoration. Here are the DOs and DON'Ts for a water damage from a clean water loss.
- Call SERVPRO of South Livingston immediately at (225) 667-2220.
- Shut off the source of water if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletops items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wooden blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents, and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
- Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors.
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors.
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors to cause staining.
- Leave Oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall-to-wall carpets to cause staining.
- Use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, possibly causing electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Use TV's or other appliances while standing on wet carpets of floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
About SERVPRO of South Livingston
SERVPRO of South Livingston specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke, or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO's corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Have a Question? Call Us Today - (225) 667-2220
What to Expect During Mold Remediation
Let SERVPRO of South Livingston help with your mold remediation!
Mold can grow almost anywhere in a home or business if conditions permit. If there is visible growth on painted wall surfaces, property owners should be concerned about what may be growing on the wall's opposite side. The environment inside the walls of a house often differs drastically from the outside and could create a perfect haven for mold. If the wall remains wet for a prolonged period, it's almost guaranteed that the mold growth on the back side will be worse than on the front. At that point, containing the work space and removing moldy materials, followed by cleaning of salvageable framing, are the best options.
Certified professionals have the training and experience to:
- Identify moisture sources
- Evaluate mold growth (visible or suspected)
- Contain damage to the smallest area possible
- Physically remove contamination
- Dry materials to ensure that mold will not return
- Perform or recommend procedures for returning property to a preloss condition
The IICRC outlines five major principles of mold remediation.
- Make sure safety and health precautions are taken by cleanup professionals and occupants. Mold-contaminated buildings can be associated with many health problems. Anyone involved in the mold remediation process must be protected from exposure through a combination of practices and controls.
- A post-cleanup assessment by an independent environmental expert. An effective mold remediation cannot be developed without first determining the extent of the contamination to be removed. To ensure that remediation work is being properly performed, it is highly recommended that appropriate documentation of the remediation process be kept by project management
- Control of mold before it spreads further. Eliminating mold at the source of contamination is essential. Once mold spores spread through the air, it will be much more difficult to capture.
- Oversee the proper physical removal of the mold. The mold must be physically removed from the structure. Attempts to isolate mold or remove signs of mold on the surface are not adequate. Note that bleach alone cannot kill mold.
- Ensure that moisture is controlled to limit future contamination or recontamination. Mold growth is virtually inevitable if moisture is not controlled. Moisture problems must be identified, located and corrected or controlled as soon as possible.
For more information call the SERVPRO of South Livingston experts at (225) 667-2220
SERVPRO of South Livingston Fire Restoration
SERVPRO of South Livingston understands you may be feeling confused, stressed, and more than a little vulnerable after a fire affects your home. Our professional IICRC certified technicians have been highly trained and will treat your family with empathy and your home with great care.
SERVPRO of South Livingston specialize in fire and water damage restoration; it's the cornerstone of our business. We have specialized equipment, specific training, and certifications that allow us to restore your home to pre-fire condition.
Our SERVPRO team is ready to assist you with your fire emergency 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year!
When a fire disaster strikes your home or business call the professionals at SERVPRO of South Livingston at 225-667-2220
Hurricane season is in full effect. Now is a great time to make sure you have a game plan, please don't wait until there is a storm in the Gulf to start your preparation. There are several helpful websites that can assist you with getting a game plan together. The Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness’ (GOHSEP) website, http://www.getagameplan.org/ is a great resource.
While the forecasters are predicting a below average season, one storm can cause extensive damage. If a storm does affect us this year we have the expertise, and experience to handle any water damage you may have. We served our community after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005, Gustav in 2008, and again during Isaac in 2012. We have even traveled to Maryland in 2011 to help after Hurricane Irene, and New Jersey in 2012 after Superstorm Sandy. You can trust our technicians have the expertise and the experience to handle any size disaster.
If you like us on Facebook we will be posting helpful articles, and videos about getting a game plan together. Also be on the lookout because, on some posts you will have the chance to win a great prize if you like and share our post.
Before and after duct cleaning
Duct Cleaning Process:
- The process begins by using patented equipment including a roto-scraper, which automatically adapts to the duct's shape an diameter while traveling through the duct, removing debris and filth before vacuuming begins.
- Next, a powerful push-pull air delivery and collection system transfers the debris from the ducting to a 16-gallon container.
- Air is filtered through a HEPA filtration system, removing 99.97 percent of particles in the airstream. HEPA filters capture debris and keep the environment clean.
- As an optional process, a sealant or coating product may be sprayed to address odor to microbial concerns.
- Filters will either be cleaned or replaced to remove odor and dirt.
Duct cleaning may not always be necessary. SERVPRO of South Livingston will inspect your HVAC system and ductwork and make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns. This inspection can save you money and provide peace of mind on the health of your HVAC system and ductwork.
In some circumstances, such as after fire, smoke or suspected mold growth, duct cleaning becomes an essential part of the cleanup process. In these cases, SERVPRO of South Livingston can often restore the HVAC system and ductwork to pre-damage condition.
Content Restoration after Fire Damage
From furniture to antiques to artwork and appliances, we'll treat your treasures with the care they deserve. While some items can be cleaned on-site, in many cases we'll need to inventory, pack out and transport the contents of your property to our state-of-the-art facility to ensure the best care possible.
- Contents may need to be cleaned off-site
- Contents inventory
- Determine replacement and restoration
- Ozone treatment
- Odor removal
- We arrive on-site and inventory all of your personal belongings.
- We carefully pack all salvable items to transport to our secure warehouse and cleaning facility.
- Unsalvageable contents are inventoried and discarded.
We have trained professionals to help you establish replacement values versus restoration costs. We are also available for pricing of non-salvable inventory items.
- Thorough cleaning
- Proper handling of all electronics
- Photographs and artwork
- Soft goods
- Dry Cleaning
- Odor Removal
For all Emergency Services Call SERVPRO of South Livingston Parish
SERVPRO of South Livingston Parish provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Livingston. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – 225-667-2220
Whether your Livingston home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or water damage to strike your Livingston commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business. Learn more about our commercial services:
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
Fire Safey Tips
This is a house that caught fire due electrical issues in the attic.
Tips For Fire Safety:
Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
Test smoke alarms every month. If they’re not working, change the batteries.
Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year.
If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT, and CALL FOR HELP. Never go back inside for anything or anyone.
We partner with the American Red Cross and also our local fire departments so fire prevention is VERY important to us! These tips are from REDCROSS.ORG
Here are some tips on WHAT TO DO AFTER A FIRE:
Call 9-1-1. Give first aid where needed; cool and cover burns to reduce the chance of further injury or infection.
Let friends and family know you’re safe.
People and animals that are seriously injured or burned should be transported to professional medical or veterinary help immediately.
Stay out of fire-damaged homes until local fire authorities say it is safe to re-enter.
Caring for Yourself & Loved Ones
- Pay attention to how you and your loved ones are experiencing and handling stress. Promote emotional recovery by following these tips. Discard any food that has been exposed to heat, smoke or soot.
- Watch pets closely and keep them under your direct control.
- Help people who require additional assistance- infants, elderly people, those without transportation, large families who may need additional help in an emergency situation, people with disabilities, and the people who care for them.
Also from REDCROSS.ORG, check it out for more information and make sure you are prepared in case an emergency happens in your home! And if you ever experience any smoke or fire damage in your home, give SERVPRO of South Livingston Parish a call at 225-667-2220.